Cycling in the North East – Moving Forward Together
Cycling continues to be increasingly popular across the North East for all ages and abilities and varying rider confidence and experience.
There are many who would also like to cycle but, for various reasons, have not yet taken to two wheels. We have a whole host of cycling-related businesses, charities, clubs, group and organisations. Common themes exist; however, their competing demands and differing priorities can, at times, be overly confusing and miss the fundamental issue, namely that cyclists are inherently vulnerable road users and whatever our specific cycling interest is, we all want to be safe and to feel safe while out and about on our bikes. It is extremely important that all those interested in cycling have a truly representative voice. As things stand, that collective does not exist. As a result, most local cyclists (and potential cyclists) are not being kept fully informed or consulted.
To address this, the intention is to create a group that represents everyone interested in all forms of cycling across Grampian.
Grampian Cycle Partnership will work proactively in partnership with the local authorities, government and national organisations to help achieve their ambitions through encouraging, developing, promoting and supporting cycling and work towards making Aberdeen city, Aberdeenshire and Moray even more welcoming to cycle in than they are currently.
Grampian Cycle Partnership will focus on the benefits that cycling contributes to;
- Recreation / Leisure
- Commuting / The ‘Every Day’ Potential
- Urban Renewal / Transformation
Grampian Cycle Partnership will represent, engage and partner with;
- Clubs, Groups, Associations
- Local Authorities, National Organisations
- Formal Bodies
- Workplaces, Employers, Businesses
- Retailers, Repairers
- Cycle-Friendly Cafes, Accommodation Providers
We hope to help make cycling safer and easier for everyone in the North East of Scotland by:
- Using cycling to improve both the environment and the health for those who live here;
- Securing the best possible outcomes from all available funding and resources;
- Developing the working relationship with local authorities and national organisations; and,
- Making Aberdeen City, Aberdeenshire and Moray better places to live, work in and visit, and travel safer for vulnerable road users, irrespective of their mode of travel.
We will work towards providing safe cycle routes, for all abilities, linked closely to local amenities, schools, leisure, employment and tourist destinations, by establishing working groups on various topics including, but not limited to:
- a network of cycle route options; e.g. in and across the city and the smaller communities in both Aberdeenshire and Moray;
- reliable links between the neighbouring Aberdeenshire communities and in and out of Aberdeen City;
- increasing awareness and promotion of all local cycling events (e.g. sporting, leisure, charity, cultural and tourist) and increasing participation in such events; and,
- ensuring cycling is appropriately considered as part of existing and planned projects
- the creation and development of cycling facilities
The Constitution of Grampian Cycle Partnership was adopted on Monday 29th January 2019.
A Word of Thanks
Thanks to Neil Innes, Martin Doig and Roy Milne for the kind use of their photographs.
Thanks to Murray and the team at XIC for our logo, event flyers and posters.